Frequently Asked Questions and answers
1. How much does it cost to get passport in the US?
It purely depends on what type of passport you require, whether it is in the form of passport booklet or
passport card. The fees for both are different from each other.
2. I have an emergency to get overseas and I need a passport. What should I do?
How to get a passport on emergency situations is a common issue we may face in our lives. It could be due to emergency situations such as death, hospitalization etc. In this situation the customer must have to appear before a passport agency for emergency service in person and documentation of the emergency may be requested.
3. How does a person get diplomatic or regular no-fee passport?
There is a special passport issuance agency, located in Washington DC. This agency issues special passports to the persons traveling abroad on official duty with their family, if permissible and others who are exempted by Law from paying passport fees.
4. If my passport has already been issued and mailed to me. But I have not received it yet. What should I do?
You can contact the National Passport Information Centre. Their customer service dept will confirm the date and the address to which it has been mailed to you. And they will help you to report the non –receipt of your passport. But, you have to report it within 90 days of issuance of your passport. If not you will have to re-apply for a fresh passport by paying the fee in full.
5. What is the new e-passport?
It is an electronic passport. The formalities to get it are the same as getting a traditional passport. You have to apply for it in the prescribed
passport application form properlyass and for renewal; it has to be done on passport renewal form. The only difference is, it is embedded with a small chip on the back cover of the passport. It contains a digital signature that protects the passport holder to protect his/her data in the passport being altered.
6. How long does it take to get a passport in the US?
It depends upon the work load and some unforeseen circumstance such as natural calamities etc. In the normal scenario, it takes 4-6 weeks to get a passport in the US.
7. What are the basic instructions to fill out a passport application form properly?
There is a set procedure in submitting a passport application form in the US. And some documents which are to be mandatorily attached with. You will get to know the formalities from the official site of US department of state.
8. How many blank visa pages do a passport holder needs to travel?
Generally, most of the countries require one passport have two to four pages blank visa pages.
9. How long does a Passport in the US valid and how can it be renewed?
If you are an adult above the age of 16 years, the passport is valid for 10 years. If you are below 16 years, it is valid for 5 years.
10. When I m renewing my passport, do I get the old passport back?
Yes. Your old passport will be sent back to you once it is renewed with the new one.
11. If my passport is completely damaged, can I use it?
No if it is damaged losing your personal data printed in it, you can not use it any further and you may have to apply for a new one.
Above mentioned are the most commonly asked questions and answers regarding passport in the US. You can contact your nearest passport office to clarify any doubts and queries about passport.